Hi everyone, in light of recent events, we've gotten new types of questions from members and member families that we haven't had to deal with before.   Does HQ or any of your groups have policies, guidelines, or position papers on the role of the BPSA, member groups , and scouts in political activism?

By political activism, I mean pragmatic and real world decisions like discussing the topic with youth, providing positive forums for discussion, supporting or not supporting youth/Pathfinder desires to become active,  supporting (or not) marches consistent with our values, participating (or not) in marches, sharing Facebook posts, distributing (or not) member families event notices to the group community, participating (or not) in boycotts, responding to parents concerns about boycotts (recently focusing on Paypal), etc.

We've started an outline ourselves of some of our thoughts, but we wanted to learn from all of your great ideas and opinions. Any guidance, best practices, HQ policies, or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert

GSM, 8thPVD

Views: 260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another idea hit me.  Make sure that the camp you're set up on is on private property and you're outfit has permission to be there.  I wasn't aware that the Dakota Access protesters' base camp was not on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation and on Federal land instead.  Its only a matter of time before the Feds steamroll them like they did the Bonus Army at the Anacostia Flats.

Some of our scouts went to a rally not long ago here in Sacramento in the wake of the Pulse nightclub shooting. We manned the water tables, providing a central point for bottled water, sunscreen, and snack donations as well as chairs in the shade where people could sit down and take a break.

We repainted a campaign sign: A scout is a friend to all.

We offered water to everyone, which was politely declined by the small number of anti-gay demonstrators.

Geoffrey, a wonderful post. May I borrow this, crediting you of course, for the development of an FAQ-type document on this issue?

Thank you.... Always such a pleasure.

We are attending non-partisan events that line up with our Scout ideals of being a friend to all and a sibling to every other Scout.  Towards that end we have attended vigils for hope and kindness as a Scout group in uniform to support those ideals.  We would not participate in anything that directly protested the constitutionally elected president.

Happy to be of service--please use it as you see fit :)

Sue Pesznecker said:

Geoffrey, a wonderful post. May I borrow this, crediting you of course, for the development of an FAQ-type document on this issue?

Thank you!

Geoffrey McGrath said:

Happy to be of service--please use it as you see fit :)

Sue Pesznecker said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome to the BPSA Base Camp

Networking site for BPSA members & staff, plus anyone else interested in growing our coed, inclusive, traditional scouting program in the United States.

Latest Activity

Nat'l Staff
Will Adamson added a discussion to the group South Region
Thumbnail

SW Virginia BTC/Moot April 7-9, 2017

I just posted an event listing for a BTC/Moot to be held in Abingdon, VA April 7-9.  Cost will be $30.  Fee will cover badges awarded, Brownsea necker, food, and some instructional materials.  If you are a Rover Squire who wishes to pursue knighting…See More
21 hours ago

Nat'l Staff
Will Adamson posted an event

Southwest Virginia BTC 2017 at Abingdon Muster Grounds

April 7, 2017 at 6pm to April 9, 2017 at 12pm
BTC for those who need it, with concurrent Moot.See More
21 hours ago

Nat'l Staff
Scott Hudson posted a discussion

New Chipmunk Shirts in QM Store

I've added the first of Chipmunk specific items.Chipmunk ItemsSee More
yesterday
William Carter replied to Celeste Neiser's discussion Scout Science Ideas for March for Science on Earth Day
"This book has some good ideas.  http://thedump.scoutscan.com/workingmodels.pdf Have fun!"
Monday

Nat'l Staff
Scott Hudson posted discussions
Monday
Jennifer Best joined David Atchley's group
Thumbnail

Scout Groups & Leaders

A Group for current and prospective Scout Group Leaders and other warranted group positions (Group Scoutmaster, Troop Leaders, Pack Leaders, Otter Leaders, and assistants for each).See More
Sunday
Jennifer Best updated their profile
Saturday
Jennifer Best posted a group
Thumbnail

28th South Mountain

We are a new group in Northern NJ.See More
Saturday

Videos

• Add Videos

Birthdays

Badge