Maybe you've heard of this. I'm still not entirely sure what it's all about (even after reading up on these types of "subscription boxes"), but some of you may be.

http://scoutbox.us/

BTW, I asked them to add our association to their list of orgs, and they did. So there's that, anyway.

SCOUT ON!
køpper

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the first box is any indication, this outfit is doomed. Total junk.

Out of curiosity, what stuff did you receive?

Ethan Jewett said:

If the first box is any indication, this outfit is doomed. Total junk.

A (cheap) "ThorFire" accordion LED lantern, Chinese accessory carabiner, plastic-lined ScoutBox travel mug, bottle of Camp Suds, and a compass zipper-pull.

AND they added like $12 in shipping for that very light load, and sent it in a box 6X bigger then necessary. Amateur hour.

Wow.

Well, thanks for testing this out for us. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ethan Jewett said:

A (cheap) "ThorFire" accordion LED lantern, Chinese accessory carabiner, plastic-lined ScoutBox travel mug, bottle of Camp Suds, and a compass zipper-pull.

AND they added like $12 in shipping for that very light load, and sent it in a box 6X bigger then necessary. Amateur hour.

Sorry to hear that.  Hubby and I were hoping to equip our scouts using that box but if they're going to send worse than Wal-Mart junk, I won't bother.

I received one of the mystery boxes and was less than thrilled. Some of the items in it were Wal-Mart items such as a Coghlan stove. That being said, they are learning on the fly and hopefully will improve the value of the boxes. I've had decent luck with the Cairn boxes and just sprung for my first Obsidian. The Obsidian wasn't that great in terms of value but everything was decent quality. I just ordered my first Isle Box so we'll see how that goes.

I worked in the outdoor industry for a decade and remember how these things are supposed to work...my sense is that manufacturers are not biting at the ScoutBox "opportunity" and so they are filling the boxes mostly with cheap purchased items. 

I had an email exchange with them about the whole add-on of shipping, which wasn't part of the two things like this i'd previously participated in. I asked them if they were attending Outdoor Retailer (where a lot of the box folks solicit deals with makers of cool gear), "no" was the answer. They made some very weak arguments for why this was the case. I unsubscribed from their email list earlier today.

Battlbox subscritions and escape krate subscriptions seem to have some decent gear and have different(ie: cost more) levels. Those might be worth a look. just my 2 cents worth.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome to the BPSA Base Camp

Networking site for BPSA members & staff, plus anyone else interested in growing our coed, inclusive, traditional scouting program in the United States.

Latest Activity

Jeff Davis is now a member of Baden-Powell Service Association Trailhead
3 hours ago

GSM
Celeste Neiser replied to William Carter's discussion badge display and recruitment table
"Nancy, that is so fun! What a good idea! "
yesterday
Nancy Muller replied to William Carter's discussion badge display and recruitment table
"Wonderful display! Thanks for sharing, everyone. Here is round one of Jane Pathfinder, still a work in progress.... she will have achieved not only her George Washington, but also the Bushman's thong...just a rough draft."
yesterday
Mark K Pickett joined Jeff Kopp's group
Thumbnail

Rovers

Program ideas, sharing and leaders roundtable discussions for BPSA Rover Scouts.See More
yesterday
Mark K Pickett joined Jeff Kopp's group
Thumbnail

Pathfinders

Program ideas, sharing and leaders roundtable discussions for BPSA Pathfinders.See More
yesterday

Nat'l Staff
Jeff Kopp replied to William Carter's discussion badge display and recruitment table
"No matter how you do it, making one of these goes a LONG way to showing prospective parents that we are a serious scouting organization. Set one of these up at a back-to-school event or picnic and have a signup sheet next to it. Then, afterward,…"
Thursday
Dustin Rawlings joined Jeff Kopp's group
Thumbnail

Southwest Region

Discussion forum for BPSA groups and lone scouts living in the Southwest Region: Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.See More
Thursday
Profile IconDustin Rawlings and Patrick O'Brien joined Baden-Powell Service Association Trailhead
Thursday

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Jeffrey Kaye.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service